Friday, August 14, 2009

ARTmostfierce's Photolucida Critical Mass 2009 picks

Photos by Deborah Hamon entries for Photolucida's Critical Mass 2009





Artist Statement

My work explores the construction of identity of girls. I explore these ideas in both painting and photography. The two mediums are constantly informing the way I approach each image. The paintings exist as completed works, but they also provide the figures that populate my constructed photographs. I use Photoshop to combine background scenes with these figures to create a believable yet curious new reality. I am interested in this interplay between reality and fiction. I want the viewer to stop and question their initial assumptions about what they are seeing. I am drawn to things that may feel slightly awkward or quirky. I try and push towards something that is a little bit edgy yet still maintain a quiet subtlety in the work. I want to capture that moment when confidence and insecurity, whimsy and seriousness, innocence and knowledge can all exist.

I had seen this work in person before...
 Ok folks... To be honest, I kept going back and forth about this photo series. I am not a big fan of photoshop but, I must say, I could not ingore this work. After all there is a creative process involved, has merit and the result ...well I just keep going back to look at it over and over ...YES!

Deborah Hamon
Novato, CA
United States
deborah@deborahhamon.com
www.deborahhamon.com

No comments: