Sunday, August 9, 2009

ARTmostfierce's Photolucida Critical Mass 2009 180 picks

Photos by Photolucida's  Critical Mass 2009 participant Anthony Kurtz










Well... I started the first stage  screening process of selecting 180 lucky ones of Photolucida's Critical Mass 2009. There has been many NO's so far but, here is one that caught my eye...his name is Anthony Kurtz

I am going to try to post about every single one of my lucky 180 selections so you know,what I am up to. I am looking for new, fresh and in your face photographs. Here you can see some of Anthony's which, I think have a nostalgic, sinister and quite stunning urban landscape settings. This one in my opinion is pretty fabulous and, I would like to collect.


Anthony Kurtz
San Francisco, Ca
United States
photography@anthonykurtz.com
anthonykurtz.com

8 comments:

Melanie Flood said...

This work gets a no from me. It's a little too commercial & formulaic for my tastes... That's the beauty of Critical Mass-an array of opinionated judges like us!

ruben said...

Well... for me is a definite YES!

I love Urban night landscapes and this series is right on !

ruben said...

Besides if the work does not have commercial appeal...it will not sell!

Anonymous said...

These images are so fake that they don't even feel like photographs.

I can see this on Flickr all day...

Is this a photography contest, or a Photoshop contest?

ruben said...

oh Anonymous...welcome back sarcasm and all!

That is why people like me get chosen to judge this work. Be patience, out of the 180 that I will chose you, might like one at least. Besides if you don't, I will be still laughing all the way to the bank!

Still hiding ha?
Well at least one of us looks what it looks like.
Cheers!

Melanie Flood said...

What I meant by commercial, is work that is used for advertising purposes. Not fine art. This work is heavily photoshopped using a technique called HDR.

I'm also going to be posting my votes on my website- we shall see how different all the judges tastes are. Should make for an interesting winner...

ruben said...

Heavily photoshopped like Burtynsky , Gursky, Jill Greenburg and Gregory Crewdson among many has a truly fine art value. I know it is phtoshopped but, I like the final product , it reminds me of Crewdson's work. I like to chose a wide range of images, themes and the way the photography gets it boundaries pushed as an art media.

For photoshopped work, I chose this one.

Melanie Flood said...

I'm sure this won't be surprising, but I'm not a fan of Gursky or Crewdson!
It's not about people using Photoshop per se, but it's this technique HDR that really gets under my skin.