Thursday, August 13, 2009

ARTmostfierce's Photolucida Critical Mass 2009 picks

Photos by Judy Gelles entries for Photolucida's Critical Mass 2009




Artist Statement

For the past two years I have been volunteering in a fourth grade class at an inner city school. I asked each student in the class to tell me about themselves, who they live with, what they wish for, what they worry about, and their dreams for the future. Each student is standing in front of the school door. Their words are juxtaposed onto their image. By photographing the complete fourth grade, rather than selecting a few of the students, the whole became greater than the individual parts.

I like the portrayal of Judy Gelles of these kids as they face the wall and hopefully a future. Such a hard reality and a YES for me!!!

Judy Gelles
Philadelphia, PA
United States
judy@judygelles.com
www.judygelles.com


No comments: