Thursday, August 5, 2010

PhotoLucida's Critical Mass 2010 Pre Screening Picks

Well it is that time of the Year to do the Pre- Screening of Photolucida's Critical Mass. I just started and my job is to vote YES or No and trim it from 549 applicants to the 175 finalists  of the second tier. 


I will try to post as many of my picks here so you can start getting an idea of the range, theme and quality that I am after. 

Christopher Raushenberg-

Marché aux puces

My very first pick is the work of Christopher Raushenberg. This photo series is based on The Marché aux Puces at Saint-Ouen, an inch or two outside the city limits of Paris, is said to be the greatest flea market in the world. I really liked the series and the compositions of the subjects in it make them so surreal. The photographs also reminded me the collages and photography  of his late father, the great Robert Raushenberg.This is a YES for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

why not wait for PhotoLucida to announce who is in?

ruben said...

Because I AM one of the people deciding who is in or out and like to share with the public my choices. That was art dealers , collectors and the public will learn about the newcomers.

Michael Mazzeo said...

Great selection, Ruben. Chris has been one of the most important figures in the photo world for decades. Aside from actively promoting the careers of hundreds of photographers through Blue Sky Gallery, which he founded over 30 years ago, he is a prolific and influential artist in his own right. Chris's work is driven by an unrestrained sense of wonder and possibilities and he sees the world like no one else.