Friday, June 26, 2009

SVA 2009 MFA Thesis Exhibition

I finally got a chance to go and see the MFA Photography , Video and Related Media Department Thesis Exhibition of The School of Visual Arts. The exhibition was curated by Bonnie Yochelson. See below my favorite picks of the show: 

Lissa Rivera
Incantations of a Doll Collector
Video, Mixed Media, Dimensions Variable

This was my favorite work. Great installation, reminded me of Eve Sussman's installation  currently on display at the Winkleman Gallery. I had been looking at Lissa Rivera's work for a while. There is a lot of talent over here and, I intent to eventually be able to collect some of her work.



















































Yiftach Belsky
Ikonostasis
Installation detail
variable dimensions.
I also liked the  voyeuristic effect that Yiftach creates with this very intimate ''windows''  
















Jessica Bruah
No Lake This Summer
Happy Hour, House of Embers

20 x 24 inches


















Sean Hanratty
Photosynthesis
Brooklyn
13 x 20 inches














Craig Stokle
Bearing Darkness
Harmony-Brass Castle Road, Warren County

24 x 29 2/3 inches

















Harlan Erskine
Imaginary Wars
Sabine Cross Roads

20 x 37 inches













Carlos Alvarez Montero
Covers (Adopt & Adapt)
Little Saint Jude

26 x 34.67 inches
Carlos is my winner for portraiture


No comments: