Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mentors Exhibit @ SVA-Highlights

Ok Folks...after letting my hair down all weekend...back to business!

I meant to talk about this exhibit earlier but, La Vida Loca got into my system for a few days and it was hard to shake it off ! 

Here are some highlights from the Mentors Exhibit @ The School of Visual Arts. Most of the work was interesting but, in my opinion and taste there were two newcomers that really caught my eye and that eventually, will like to include in my photography collection. One is Sean Gutowski and the other is Bon Duke.

I went around the whole exhibit and kept going back to the work of these two. Sean Gutowski had a photograph tilted Burning Ship,2009 and it really dominated the wall not only for its size (54 x 44) but also for its quality and theme. I am not a big fan of large photographs but this one, looked amazing and can be an exception. This Burning Ship,2009 image in particular is quite reminiscent to me of the work of photographer Lori Nix. 


Photo-Sean Gutowski
Burning Ship , 2009
54 x 44 inches $1,500/$800.00 unframed
20 x 24 print , edition of 5 available $400.00













My other favorite was the work of Bon Duke , who I got to meet because he was a model for Amy Elkins Wallflower photo series.

With Bon, I got to see more range of his work including video , installation and photography. 

Bon had two photographs on display that I became interested on. One was a portrait of a friend(Bruise,2008) days after being hit by a car (something that I can relate to) and a photograph (Cup ,1) of a bunch of cigarettes in a glass and an injection filled with the same liquid that after a few days  if used, can be lethal and cause death. The Bruise photograph reminded me of Francesca Romeo portraiture work and the Cup 1,2008 photograph reminded me and had an effect of the work of Cara Phillips, Singular Beauty Series  which, I am a big fan . Keep an eye on these two newcomers...you never know!

Photo-Bon Duke
Bruise,2008
20 x 24
Edition of 10
$200.00





















Photo-Bon Duke
Cup 1, 2008
20 x 24
Edition of 10
$200.00





















Bon Duke strikes a pose in front of his creations























The show is running till April 25, 2009. Check it out and see the new talent!

No comments: